Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Victoria, Day 1

Holy hell. Riding a bicycle in the mountains, even in a place as "flat" as Victoria, is vastly different from the prairies. I rode the Galloping Goose Regional Trail from downtown to the Royal Roads University. The trail is about 15 km total, and it took me about 55 minutes to bike it. The trail itself is great: smooth, paved, and lots of room for bikes and pedestrians. There are some especially beautiful parts too that made me feel like I was out in the wilderness rather than riding parallel to the Trans Canada Highway. What was especially eye opening about the whole experience was how quickly everyone biked. I couldn't believe the pace these people could go at, especially with all the hills. I'd be at the lowest (or highest?) gear ratio, pedaling like a madman and moving inches. Seemed that way, at the very least. I did stick it through and reached my destination.

The Royal Roads university campus seems quite new, excepting the horticulture and greenhouse area. It was set amid giant conifers, which was quite the sight. I couldn't help but wonder how anything could grow in that soil, however. It must be highly acidic from all the needles that fall. I meant to ride out there again tomorrow to meet up with the program leader but after today's little adventure I've decided I'll bus it.

It was a little strange being there among university-aged people. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking steps backwards in order to try to move forward with my life. I am glad that I've come out here for the week. It'll be a good test to see if I'm ready to leave my family and friends behind. At times I feel my resolve slipping, as though I wish I could put the blindfold on again and "unsee" the evidence that points to a post-industrial future. It would be like the old days where I plug away at my job, spending money with no real concern for the future, assuming things will carry on as it's always been, indefinitely. I know that this can't be the case ever again, and I think being in Victoria on my own, actually exploring a move here and connecting with others who have seen what I've seen and have come to the same conclusion, frightens me. It makes the uncertainty of the future real. I kind of want to close my eyes and pretend it'll all be ok. I think this will be my way of growing up.

The ride back from the university felt much faster than on the way out, as it always does when exploring new territory. This adventure was good for me; it taught me I am capable of setting my mind to a not-so-easy thing and seeing it through. There were a couple times where I was sorely tempted to just turn right around and bolt for the safety of my hotel room; but I carried on. I knew it would make any future journey that much easier. I couldn't help but parallel the experience to what's described in the exploration of the Qabalistic Tree of Life (see Golden Dawn traditions for details on that). The destination is vaguely known, and the path is somewhat set, but until one actually sets out to discover that path on his own, it will always remain a mystery. I'm proud of myself that I went through with it. I was certain I could have gotten lost several times during that ride but I managed.

Today's been an interesting day, all told. I think it's time for me to get some sleep. I've been up for over 18 hours now and I didn't sleep well at all last night. I'm hoping the 30+ kilometers of biking I've done today will help me fall asleep right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment